on one hand feminism does help men but on the other hand i want men to finally get it through their heads that a social movement doesn’t have to be aimed at benefiting them to be worthwhile
• a transphobic woman is not a feminist
• a racist woman is not a feminist
• a homophobic woman is not a feminist
• exclusionary feminism is not feminism
The main problem I have with Men’s Rights Activists is that their name really doesn’t do them justice. They’re Straight Cis White Men’s Rights Activists. I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists campaign for the inclusion of trans* men in their spaces.
I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists campaign to end the social stigma around black fatherhood. I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists campaign for better pay and equal career mobility for men of colour. I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists actively campaign for more gay men’s rights. I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists advise others in their group on how using f*ggot to emasculate men who aren’t part of their cause is alienating and marginalising other MEN.
I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists campaign, raise awareness of, or support victims of male rape unless it’s in order to derail a discussion around female victims of rape. I have NEVER seen Men’s Rights Activists campaign, raise awareness of, or support male victims of domestic abuse unless it’s in order to derail a discussion around female victims of domestic abuse. Men’s Rights Activists are hypocrites and frauds.
They’re bitter privileged white men who don’t want to campaign for the rights of men — they want to campaign to keep their privilege unchecked and their ability to discriminate against others. If you want to be a real Men’s Rights Activist — be a fucking (intersectional) Feminist. Peace out.
All of this. The only men they care about are themselves, and the only thing they don’t like is that they might be treated the same way as everyone else.
THIS GIRL IS MY HERO
I’m not kidding about this, and I’m not being hyperbolic. If I had to name the worst thing about my industry, it would absolutely be this. It’s a cancer within, and it’s worse than all the other problems we have, and it makes me angry and ashamed. I don’t want to look at it anymore. We need to stop pretending that it’s nothing, that it’s just some kids letting of steam, or whatever nice little comforting story we tell ourselves that lets us gloss it over time after time. It needs to stop. It really needs to stop. These assholes aren’t making games, they aren’t contributing anything. They are dependent on us for their fix, and I think we should tell them in no uncertain terms that our respect, friendship, and loyalty is for the customers and fans who make a basic, rudimentary effort to behave themselves like people worthy of those things. That it matters to us.
Because you better fucking believe it matters to me.
You’ll want to read the whole thing, really.
i don’t know if i already posted this, but the article is a really fantastic look at male-dominated gamer culture and all of its problems.
As a follow up to my last post because I am certain some dudes will read it and be like “well what do you want us to do, then?”
- Stop arguing with women about identifying as “feminist”. There are women who are ok with it and women who are not. If you encounter women who are not ok with it, don’t argue. Step back and realize your ability to identify as a feminist or not isn’t important in terms of actually helping women.
- Stop worrying about your place within feminist spaces. In fact, for the most part, act like you’re not there. Your place is to be quiet and take notes when you are in a feminist space or watching a feminist discussion take place. Stop butting in with “Well, as a man…”, “But what if I…”, “But if I were to say…”. No. Stop.
- Speak up in the spaces you occupy that are NOT feminist or friendly for women. In the locker room, watching the game with friends, carpooling, at the Magic tournament, hanging out in your friends house, at the lunch meeting, in the gym, etc. Don’t just speak up if you think a woman is within earshot. Speak up when we aren’t. Tell your dudes and bros the way they talk about and treat women is NOT ok. Do this ALL THE TIME. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, you will lose friends. Suck it the fuck up because it’s the least you can do.
- If you do speak up and a woman nearby tells you to stop or you start speaking OVER a woman who is already standing up for herself, stop. Let her take the lead. Step in when she needs it, and trust me you will KNOW when she needs it.
- LISTEN TO WOMEN WHEN THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE FUCKING UP. Stop being so defensive and if you can’t then quietly REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE CONVERSATION and have a long hard think before coming back to say anything ( odds are you don’t need to come back and say anything. just stop doing that thing you did. ).
- 6. Stop expecting praise and/or thanks for speaking up. You don’t get cookies for being male and meeting the bare minimum standards of being a decent human being.
- 7. When we lay out the ground rules, don’t whine that it hurt your feels. If all you take away from these rules is “WHAT ABOUT MY MAN-FEELS?” then you need to go over the fucking rules again. Because you’re turning into the very thing that we do. not. want.
cambridge university students were asked on campus why they needed feminism. here are 60 answers. click the link for over about 600 more.
This is amazing
I love the “I’d rather be a knight in shining armor than a damsel in distress” one!
GOD BLESS EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT DID THIS
"I’m sexist and I know it" is my favorite because that is a dude ACKNOWLEDGING that he has been raised in a sexist society and it has affected him, and this implies that he is actively trying to change that
that, or it was an lmao reference, and i am severely disappointed
Choice bit from a wonderful article!←
TRIGGER WARNING: DISCUSSION OF RAPE/VICTIM BLAMING IN RESPONSE TO JENNA MARBLES’ VIDEO ABOUT “SLUTS”
Once again, chescaleigh tells it like it is and saves the world.
(If you don’t already watch her, she makes awesome and super funny videos about race and gender and self-respect and everything worth discussing ever. Go.)
This woman is brave, amazing, and incredibly human. Let’s all go comment and send her lots of love, okay? Because there are already a hoard of victim-blaming arseholes in the comments. It’s hard for women to share in this day and age, especially to discuss an experience as difficult as this, on a forum as open and unmoderated as youtube. So spread the positivity my darlings ♡
She is a beautiful person and I love her, and she is so brave for speaking out like this.
A comment made by a man about the Hawkeye Initiative.
Not only did he say the poses were acceptable for women because we could, “bend that way.” but he also managed to slip in a Kitchen joke as well.
Congratulations on being a misogynistic asshole.
OUR BONES STRETCH
OUR BONES STRETCH
Or as Todd Akin would say
If it’s a legitimate impossible pose
the female body has ways to try to stretch that whole bone out.
(But no in all seriousness, it is honestly SAD how much these men standing against the Hawkeye initiative are demonstrating not only their ignorance of women’s bodies and women’s struggles in geek culture, but also their ignorance of how seeing these depictions of women has so heavily tainted their own knowledge that they actually think that’s how women work.)
yeah because I can totally make my butt face the same way as my breasts
“no d December” lmfao okay if that’s your attitude towards women with body hair, you better get ready also for the rest of the year
just yourself January
five finger friend February
Must touch yourself March
Ask yourself why you’re so alone April
Jizzin’ alone June
Awfully Still Alone August
Oops still alone October
Never gonna get any November
you know what would be great
if we didn’t shame women for working in the sex industry
if we didn’t shame women for posing nude
if we didn’t shame women for having sex
if we didn’t shame women for getting plastic surgery
if we didn’t shame women for deciding not to shave
if we didn’t shame women for speaking up about what bothers them
if we didn’t shame women for getting abortions
if we didn’t shame women for
having control over their own lives
A lot. It basically marginalizes actual problems women have by saying “Oh, men and women are EQUAL because they BOTH have these problems aww”, when in actuality, pretty much every “boy problem” is bullshit. Even if men have problems, they have privilege that all but negates them. It shouldn’t aim for equality by saying both genders are oppressed, because they aren’t. Basically, that poster needs to be burned.
(for the morning crowd, I’m talking about this poster and how it’s horrendous bullshit)